Do you have a go-to sitcom you tune in to every night before bed to laugh and relax? This week Shannon and Fadra discuss one of Shannon’s favorites – The Golden Girls – and discover some little-known facts!
4:30 What we’re watching:
- Shannon finished up Travelers and liked the second half of the season much better. But she is not a fan of brand new shows ending on a cliffhanger. What if it’s not renewed?? (It has been renewed – phew!) Shannon & Fadra rant a bit about cliffhangers.
- Fadra started watching The Good Place with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. She gives it a 6 so far; it’s entertaining.
16:01 Last movie seen?
- Shannon saw Dunkirk. She recommends seeing it in a theater or IMAX because the sound is impactful. Very unique movie, told from three different POVs and in three different time lines. Go see it!
- Fadra re-watched School of Rock and Raising Arizona after our Episode 4 discussion of our favorite comedies.
19:24 What’s coming up?
- Fuller House Season 3 is coming up on Netflix on September 22.
- Atypical renewed for a second season on Netflix.
- The Punisher comes out soon on Netflix, probably in November. Next in Netflix’s Marvel Universe shows, starring Jon Bernthal.
- Coco is the next Disney/Pixar movie coming out for Thanksgiving.
- Shannon saw the trailer for Justice League and she doesn’t have high hopes. 🙁
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle comes out in December and looks really funny with an awesome cast: Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan.
29:11 Stinger Topic of the Week: The Golden Girls
Shannon is a Golden Girls fangirl. Fadra has not been a fan of The Golden Girls, but she admits it’s not that bad.
Do you know all the guest stars that appeared on this show? Even Quentin Tarantino.
33:37 Dorothy – played by Beatrice Arthur (1922-2009), was Shannon & Fadra’s favorite Golden Girl. Bea Arthur started as Edith Bunker’s cousin, Maude, on All in the Family. And of course, Maude ended up as a spin-off. She won an Emmy for Maude in 1977 for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. She was cast as Dorothy Zbornak in The Golden Girls in 1985, with a successful run until 1992.
37:28 Sophia – played by Estelle Getty (1923 – 2008). She wanted to be a comedienne in the 1940s, but wasn’t successful. She married, had kids, and did some community theater. When she landed the role of Sophia, she was in her mid-60s. Won an Emmy for best supporting actress in 1988.
40:45 Blanche – played by Rue McClanahan (1934-2010). Started out in theater and also guest starred in All in the Family and was then cast in Maude. She was married 6 times.
43:54 Rose – played by Betty White, who is 95 years old and the only living Golden Girl. Fun fact: Betty White originally auditioned for Blanche and Rue McClanahan auditioned for Rose. But Betty had been a vixen as SueAnn on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and Rue had been the shy Vivian on Maude. So the directors switched them because they didn’t want them doing the same roles.
If you know someone who loves movies and TV, please tell them about Stinger! And if YOU enjoy our podcast, we’d love for you to leave us a review on iTunes!
Be sure to follow us on Facebook and join our Facebook discussion group – where we talk ALL WEEK LONG about the latest in entertainment. And of course you can find us at @stingerpodcast on Twitter and Instagram.